In the 3rd quarter of 2020, Pharmacists detected 470,000 COVID-19 cases at the community level in Accra alone. Additionally, in the second half of 2022, we have resolved 986,000 malaria cases in Accra, Cape Coast and Kumasi without having to refer patients to the hospital. Each Pharmacy in Accra sees a minimum of 25 respiratory related visits/complaints a day with about 92% of them being resolved at the community pharmacy level.
This is possible.
Unfortunately, all the data you read is not true; or actually, we don’t know.
Collectively, pharmacists have helped detect “several unsuspecting COVID-19 cases” since 2020 and resolved “a huge number of malaria cases” in 2023 alone. We have also been instrumental in reducing “many cardiovascular-related deaths’ and have overall made “a tremendous” impact on Public Health.
But what defines a huge number. How do we measure impact without numbers? While there is no doubt that these statements and achievements are true, there is nothing to show that they happened.
As a team of young pharmacists, we recognized this gap in our practice and decided to give back to the profession. If you are a pharmacist striving to take patient management to the next level, DocuPharm is your solution.
DocuPharm is a mobile-first documentation system that streamlines patient management efforts for pharmacists. The app encourages pharmacists to document interventions, patient cases and history. This approach ultimately generates data-backed and evidence-based health care delivery and ensures continuity of care.
Over time, through documenting our work, we can assess our collective impact while building comprehensive knowledge of our patients in order to empower them to make well-informed healthcare choices. DocuPharm simplifies this experience.
How it works
A pharmacist creates a patient record, initiates an intervention and documents any relevant clinical information about the care they delivered. They also get to attach notes when they follow up with their patients. Where necessary, pharmacists refer the patient to a physician. We define an intervention as any action, no matter how small, that a pharmacist takes to advance healthcare outcomes for their patients. DocuPharm’s key goal is to empower pharmacists to deliver well-informed care, formalise their practice and ensure continuity of care for their patients.
- Comprehensive Patient Case Database: DocuPharm enables pharmacists to create a robust database of patient cases, ensuring comprehensive understanding of the patient’s history and their current situation to drive continuity in patient care delivery.
- Elevating Point of Care: As the first port of call in every community, pharmacists play a pivotal role in patient care. DocuPharm facilitates structured and data-backed services that enhance the quality of care pharmacists provide.
- Positioning Pharmacists as Healthcare Leaders: DocuPharm positions pharmacists as indispensable contributors to the healthcare system. By leveraging data and innovation, we become key players in patient well-being and build better relationships with our healthcare colleagues.
- On-the-Go Case Documentation: The DocuPharm App offers the convenience of creating patient records and documenting cases and interventions right from your phone’s Home Screen. Whether you’re at the pharmacy, visiting a patient, or offering a pro-Bono consultation like we do with our family and friends, you can access and update patient information with ease.
- Categorised Documentation: You can document patient interactions and interventions seamlessly. Interventions are documented through an intuitive flow that requires only 3 taps:
- The category of care issue
- The specific details
- The specific intervention
- Reminders and Notifications: Receive daily check in reminders to log your patient interactions.
- Minimal Phone Space: DocuPharm is designed to take up very little space on your device while delivering a robust and feature-rich experience.
- Cross-Platform Accessibility: DocuPharm can be downloaded from the browser in seconds whether you use an Android or iOS device.
- Impact Overview: The DocuPharm dashboard gives you a bird’s eye view of all your interventions.
- Investigations and Follow-Up: You can record results of clinical investigations, follow up on an intervention and document outcomes of treatments or counselling.
- Profile Updates: You can edit your profile details, add new work experiences and profile pictures to customise your page.
Who can use DocuPharm?
DocuPharm is open to Practising Pharmacists, Pharmacists offering Pro-Bono services to family and friends, interns and pharmacy students.
By downloading the DocuPharm App, you’re not just getting an app; you’re gaining a valuable tool that enhances your pharmacy practice, keeps you organised, and empowers you to provide the best care to your patients
Join the community of healthcare professionals who are transforming healthcare outcomes for their patients through seamless documentation – www.bit.ly/docupharmcommunity
Download the app – www.docupharm.health
Meet the Team
- Joel Anaman — Product Lead and Pharmacist
- Andrew Asamoah Boateng — Tech & Data Lead and Pharmacist
- Afua Adobea Adow, Esq. — Legal Lead and Pharmacist
- Nkolika Osy-Okafor — Product Marketing Lead and Pharmacist
- Peggy Fafa Wovenu — UI/UX Designer and Pharmacy Student
- Vanessia Owusu-Ansah — Health Economist